District festivals enjoy the sunshine!
The winter just gone has seen our revised district structure come in to play; 4 districts as opposed to 5, and Monday saw the first competitive opportunity for those teams with the annual festivals taking place at under 10s, 11s and 13s.
The intention of the district festivals is to provide a fun and positive introduction to the district season whilst providing mutiple matchplay opportunities in one day in order for coaches to familiarise themselves with their group of players.
This year's festivals took place as follows:
- Under 10s - Calne CC
- Under 11s - Biddestone CC
- Under 13s - Royal Wootton Bassett CC
A huge thanks to Calne CC and Beversbrook Sports Facility for hosting the day. The ground looked excelllent and a BBQ was running on what was a scorching day! Report to follow on results
At the under 11 festival, results were as follows:
- North West beat North East
- South beat Mid.
- South beat North West.
- Mid beat North East.
- North West beat Mid
- South beat North East
This left the final table looking as follows:
- South: 3 wins
- North West: 2 wins
- Mid: 1 win
- North East: 0 wins
Well done to the South district on their performance and for winning the day
Huge thanks to our festival coordinators, David Norman and Matt Nielsen, who took the time to capture certain performances during the day; most notably:
- Best Wicket Keeping - Rory Lyttle - 2 stumpings
- Best Fielding - Alfie Johnson - 3 catches
- Best Bowling figures - William Barnard - 3 for 11
- Highest Innings - Angus Wrench - 45
- Sparkling Grape Juice Moment Award (because they're too young for champagne) - Cavan Bramwell - for a direct hit run out
- Best overall bowling - Ernie Finn - 3 wickets for 6 runs (1-6 and 2-0).
- Best overall batting - Angus Wrench - 62 runs (45 and 17)
Many thanks also to Biddestone CC for being such excellent hosts on the day; running a bar, BBQ, preparing pitches and having available changing rooms for all teams
At the under 13 festival, the final results saw:
- North East winning the competition with three from three victories.
- All other teams won 1 each.
Many thanks, too, to festival coordinator, Steve Jepson for tracking notable performances during the day, including;
- Top Run Scorer: George Lewis (NE) 66 from 3 (2no)
- Fifties: Austin Brown (NW) 51* and Harrison Bailey (S) 50*
- Top wicket takers: Liam Carpenter (S) 3 & George Lewis (NE) 4, including hat-trick
A big thank you to Royal Wootton Bassett CC for their excellent hosting of the day, which saw facilities open and refreshments served throughout the day