Representative Cricket: Wiltshire 2nd XI
Wiltshire 2nd XI
The Wiltshire 2nd XI replaces the previous Wiltshire Academy team and will provide a clear link in Wiltshire’s player pathway between age group cricket and the Wiltshire CCC 1st team. There are many reasons for the launch of this 2nd XI but the main thing that it represents is an exciting link between the Cricket Board and the County Club which will lead to a much wider pool of players being monitored by the 1st team.
The launch of a county 2nd XI will provide opportunities for players who have perhaps recently progressed out of under 17 Cricket or who are performing well at club level.
What does the 2nd XI programme look like?
- Much like the Academy previously, there is a 12 week indoor winter coaching programme for the 2nd XI. However, this is specifically for players, aged post under 17s, so as to avoid any clash with the county under 17 programme, and to give both programmes a clear identity in terms of which programme they should attend (it should be noted that this decision will not preclude under 17 players from being involved with 2nd XI fixtures in the summer). Whilst there will not be an upper age limit in terms of the winter programme, the selection group will be looking at young players aspiring for county recognition who have the time and commitment to attend a 12 week coaching programme.
- Selection for the 2nd XI winter programme is decided by a selection group consisting of appropriate representatives from the Cricket Board (under 17 manager and coach), representatives of the 2nd XI team itself (manager and coach) and the Wiltshire CCC team manager and coach. It is hoped that by adopting a shared approach to selection that there can be greater transparency regarding selection and that players at all levels will be considered and won’t be missed.
- Supporting the selection process is an opportunity for clubs playing in the top three tiers of club cricket to nominate players who they think should be considered for invitation to the 2nd XI programme.
- In terms of the summer programme, the team plays in a series of fixtures against other county 2nd XIs
- Selection for the summer matches is managed by the 2nd XI manager and coach but in full consultation with both the under 17 coach and the Wiltshire CCC management so as to ensure that where appropriate both have the opportunity to feed in players who they feel would benefit by playing some Wiltshire 2nd XI cricket. This approach allows for two situations:
1. For under 17 players to also play 2nd XI Cricket if it is appropriate for their player development
2. For Wiltshire CCC to monitor players who may be performing well in club cricket, and/or 1st XI players who may be returning from injury or who due to form may benefit from playing a 2nd XI match
- With the two points above in mind, it is important to note that the 2nd XI summer matches will be open aged. This point is particularly relevant to under 17 players who who will attend a separate winter coaching programme. They will definitely be considered if it is deemed right for their development
In order to be consistent with the Wiltshire CCC selection policy, the following players will be eligible for Academy selection:
- Players that play for a Wiltshire club
- Players that live within the boundary of Wiltshire
- Players that were born in the county
- Attend a school within Wiltshire
In addition, no player ’not qualified for England’ shall be eligible to participate in a 2nd XI fixture.
|Martin Butler||Manageremail@example.com||07795 595591|
|Wed 21 Jun||11:00||Berkshire||Corsham CC (H)||Lost by 198 runs|
|Sun 25 Jun||11:00||Herefordshire||(A)||Match cancelled|
|Tue 4 Jul||11:00||AJ Sports Tours||Swindon CC (H)||Won by 58 runs|
|Thu 20 Jul||11:00||Oxfordshire||Calne CC (H)||Won by 2 wickets|
|Sun 23 Jul||11:00||Herefordshire||Brockhampton (A)||Won by 6 wickets|
|Sun 6 Aug||11:00||Dorset||Trowbridge CC (H)|
|Sun 20 Aug||11:00||Oxfordshire||(A)|
|Thu 24 Aug||11:00||Berkshire||(A)|