Wiltshire Cricket Groundsman's Association AGM Minutes released
PREVIOUS MINUTES :
The minutes were adopted as a true record: Prop: P Jackson Sec. M Butler: Carried from the floor.
MATTERS ARISING :
There were no matters arising from the minutes.
Chairman’s Review of 2019/20
- Welcome delegates and guests - thank you to Goatacre CC for hosting.
- Reminder re our Aims and Objectives.
- One of challenges as a CGA is to widen the clubs we actively engage with and support so move AGM around the county.
- Thanks to fellow Committee members and Thanks to WCCL and WEPL for support.
- Thanks for support of Wiltshire Cricket during year and pleased that were invited to take an active part in the development of the new Wiltshire Cricket Strategy.
- Guest Speakers 1) Les Clemenson, umpire 2) Darren Matthews, Ecosolve.
- 2019 season particularly challenging with some hot and dry early weeks followed by some very wet later weeks, which impacted on end of season renovation work.
- Pitch Mark reviews remain a core part of the work and considerations of the Committee.
- Last year there was discussion at AGM about introduction of new (shorter) pitch lengths. No issues were brought to the Committee re this during the year.
- The ECB/county trailer - thanks to 2 x operators (John Wilkins and Richard Mosdell).
- Communication with groundsmen - better and updated database. Introduction of a Facebook page.
- As Chair, last year expressed continuing concerns about thesupport/training for our Pitch Advisor and lack of clarity from ECB around role of county Pitch Advisors and Grounds Associations. Things are moving (slowly) and there has now been consultation with ECB about then arrangements and models of workings. But remain concern at the pace at which these matters are being taken forward.
- Constitution Change in front of attendees, to increase annual fee from £5 to £10.
This motion was put to the floor for members to discuss and vote on the change. After discussion, it was voted by majority to increase the current annual affiliation fee to the Association from £5.00 to £10.00 and for P Sykes to implement this change in membership fee when sending out the 2020 affiliation fee invoices for the coming season.
- This will be my last AGM after five years as Chair. I have every confidence that the association will continue to thrive although concern expressed above – not within our control. Also need to rethink what courses and events we provide locally as there have been too many cancellations.
- Thank you for attending and for the time you give to cricket as volunteers.
WILTSHIRE CRICKET Ltd. MANAGING DIRECTOR: PETE SYKES
Pete Sykes representing Wiltshire Cricket Ltd took to the floor and gave a brief overview of current and ongoing activities, i.e. the new Wiltshire Cricket Strategy and the new proposed County Grants Scheme
The WCGA committee has continued to meet on a monthly basis with Pete Sykes (MD Wilts Cricket Ltd.) at Corsham, to continue to develop the roles of the WCGA and along with Mike Smith Wilts CL to monitor and discuss pitch marks throughout the season and this practice will continue.
The WCGA again ran the training workshop (Spring) during the season and this was held at Steeple Langford CC ,with a reasonable response from clubs , but the Autumn course had to be cancelled through lack of response from clubs. To make the courses viable, then clubs are reminded to try and support this initiative in the future.
The dates are to be set for the Spring and Autumn Workshop courses, and this will be notified to all clubs for this event. Dates will be posted on the Wilts Cricket Web Site in due course, together with newsletters to all clubs.
The two trailers were deployed again in the autumn with a good degree of success, albeit one or two minor teething problems.
Clubs are reminded for those wishing to hire the trailer for Autumn renovations 2019, to contact the WGA Secretary G Clift Tel: 01380 813928 to book early for next year’s renovation work
TREASURERS REPORT :
The treasurer reported a closing balance for the year end, of £6951.90 as at the date of 30th September 2019 the balance sheet is supplied amongst the handouts. A new budget for 2020 will be compiled for approval by the MD (P Sykes and the WCGA Committee) for various strategic activities throughout 2020 / 21. The current balance as at the time of this meeting stands at £1465.04.
The trailer system was sent out on hire and undertook works to 24 cricket clubs, (26 Squares) works to Collingbourne CC had to be cancelled due to bad weather, during the renovation period, this brought in an income of £6,750.00, with outgoing transport and operator costs of £3,940.00, the repairs during the renovation period totaling £629.70. this was up on last year’s repairs of (£116.81) by £512.89. This was due to belt / pulley issues to scarifier, SISIS have agreed to reimburse the WCGA the costs of the belts which will drastically reduce the cost of our repair outlay.
The WCGA would like to take this opportunity to say a big thank you to both John Wilkins and Richard Mosdell, for all their hard work in delivering the programme on behalf of the WCGA.
Report Adopted as a True Record : Proposed By M Smith, Seconded By: I Soutar : Carried from the floor.
ELECTION OF OFFICERS :
Chairman : (New Election ) P Jackson : Prop: R Tomlin: Sec: M Smith : Carried
Vice Chairman : M Smith: Prop: J Wilkins : Sec: M Butler: Carried
Secretary : G Clift : Prop: P Meadows: Sec: M Smith: Carried
Treasurer : G Clift : Prop : P Jackson: Sec: M Smith: Carried
WGA Board Representative : (New Election) J Wilkins : Prop: P Meadows: Sec: R Low: Carried
The new Chairman asked that the Associations gratitude be recorded to the outgoing Chairman Patrick Stayt for the stirling work that he has put in over the period of his tenure in office, many thanks Patrick.
A O B :
The date for next year’s AGM will be the 7th February 2021 and the venue will be at Corsham CC.
George Clift told members that the WCGA would try to arrange a day trip to Lords for the coming season and will contact Karl McDermott.
The AGM finally closed at 12.10 .