Vipers Indoor League
Vipers Indoor Cricket League
As part of our partnership with Kia Super League Champions, Southern Vipers, we are able to offer Wiltshire Cricket/Southern Vipers Indoor Cricket competitions.
As part of our working partnership with the Vipers, all the counties across the consortium have been invited to run their own women and girls indoor league competitions.
What is the purpose of the competition?
The competition is designed to give players their first experience of playing the game of cricket, however the rules are such that female cricketers of all levels of experience are able to participate if they wish to.
What are the rules?
In short, the games will be played under “standard” indoor cricket rules:
- Teams will be six a side, match day squads will be limited to eight players.
- Matches will be ten overs long
- Players will be required to wear full batting kit as per the outdoor game
- Matches will not be “hardball”, but will use a suitable indoor type ball (as with the men’s indoor game).
- Boundaries will be scored by hitting the wall behind the bowler – 4s along the ground and 6s with direct hits.
- Runs will be scored for hitting the other walls/ceiling and for running between the wickets
- Batters will retire on reaching 25 or higher, with players able to return if overs remain at the end of the innings – last batter stands
- Maximum of three overs per bowler.
So, 2 competitions?
- The Under 13s competition is open to girls who are in school up to year eight.
- The Over 13s competition is open to girls and women playing Under 15s and adult cricket.
How many games will each team play?
It depends on how many teams enter each of the competitions. However, the competitions are either run on a league basis with teams playing matches over the three days of the competition or alternatively, if numbers are higher, it might be that we have two separate days of qualifying competitions with a finals day. However a decision will be made once the entry period ends for each competition and we know how many teams we have
Who is allowed to enter?
Any clubs are allowed to enter. Initially we would ask that clubs enter only one team per competition. That is one Under 13s team and one Over 13s team. Should numbers permit, we might be able to invite clubs to enter additional teams nearer the date of the competition.
There are no issues with regards to clubs entering joint teams should numbers not permit individual teams; i.e. Goatacre/Spye Park, Chippenham/Biddestone etc.
Players not affiliated to clubs are permitted to participate either as part of “official” club sides or by coming together and entering a combined team for the purposes of the competition.