Under 9s Cricket 2019
2019 will see year three of the hugely successful All Stars Cricket programme for 5 – 8 year olds take place in Wiltshire. In 2018, we saw 1028 children participate in the programme which was a fantastic return and means that the future is very bright for junior cricket in the county.
However, as we approach year three it also means that if All Stars has been successful in inspiring a new audience of children to begin a lifelong association with cricket, it should mean we start to see increased numbers moving in to our Under 9s sections. For some clubs it might also mean running under 9s cricket for the first time.
In Wiltshire, we have a long standing under 9 festival structure that is facilitated superbly by the Wiltshire Youth Cricket League with the festivals run excellently by clubs themselves. However, with increased demand for under 9s cricket it means we need to start shifting attention to how we can improve our under 9s offer further and how, if possible, we can provide more competition opportunities for the large number of children that will gradually move out of All Stars Cricket. With this in mind, Wiltshire Cricket Limited would like to invite your club to attend one of the following workshops at which we will have some dedicated conversations and brainstorming regarding Under 9s Cricket:
- Tuesday 26th February, 7pm – 9pm at Shrewton CC
- Thursday 7th March, 7pm – 9pm at Biddestone CC
To book a place at one of these workshops please contact Pete Sykes at email@example.com. (we would be more than happy for clubs to send more than one representative).
At these meetings we will look to get in to some constructive conversation regarding the following:
- Can we run more localised under 9 festivals in order to ensure more participation opportunities for all of those children moving out of All Stars Cricket?
- Are there features of All Stars Cricket that we can learn from when delivering our under 9s programme?
- Are the number of girls in your All Stars programme an opportunity to look at dedicated girls sections in your club?
- The new Under 9 festival rules
- How can you make an under 9 festival a successful event for your club?
- What makes a successful, positive experience for players at an under 9 festival?
With these meetings taking place in late February and early March please do go ahead and book your Under 9 festivals with the WYCL as normal. Paul Rowson from the WYCL will be in touch with clubs regarding this. The workshops above will look to focus on how we can add value to the structure that is already in place.
Wiltshire Cricket hopes that these workshops are of interest to our clubs